Happy April everyone! Spring is here, finally. Sunshine, patios, the flowers are blooming, and everyone is in a good mood again. Vancouverites love spring. We also love the environment, that’s why we all try to do our very best when April comes around to conserve energy, water, and just about everything else we can think of.
If you’ve got a minute, take this little quiz. I guarantee you will be shocked at how much water you yourself use per day; on average it’s upwards of 200 gallons in a 2 person household!
To do our little part, we are encouraging everyone to skip at least one day of hair washing a week during the month of April (and ideally even after April is over!) We’re recommending that everyone try using Avedas Shampure Dry Shampoo. Not only are you saving a LOT of water, but you’ll be left with that awesome fullness and texture that dry shampoo gives, not to mention the heavenly smell of Shampure that we all love so much. As a little added incentive, when you purchase a bottle of Avedas Shampure Dry Shampoo at Trim Hair Salon, we’ll be giving out gifts with your purchase!
Here are a couple of other ways we can do our part during Earth Month:
- Check your faucets and pipes for leaks. One leaky faucet can waste up to 20 gallons of water a day!
- Don’t use the toilet as a waste bucket. Every time you flush, 5-7 gallons of water are wasted.
- Turn off the water once you’ve gotten your toothbrush wet. Try filling a glass for mouth rinsing!
So many more great tips for Earth Month and all around great habits to keep up even after April can be found at the Earth Month 2016 website here. Happy earth month!
Read more →
As mentioned in previous posts, we are eco-friendly fanatics. This comes through in the way we run our salon, the products we use and promote, and the way we live our lives! This is why we are so proud to be able to say that we are a Green Circle Salon.
The Green Circle Salon company is a new company with the amazing goal to make the salon industry in North America sustainable by 2020. Green Circle Salons uses some of the best brands out there to promote more responsible, greener choices. Not only is their goal to make you look and feel beautiful, but also to reduce your environmental impact. A few of the ways they do this is by sourcing locally, recycling, and repurposing materials that were once headed to the landfill.
As a certified green circle salon, we differ from traditional salons in 3 major ways.
1. Less Mess
- Green Circle salons recycle and repurpose up to 95% of material that usually ends up sitting in a landfill, or being flushed into our waterways. Examples of these reclaimed materials include metals, liquid chemical waste (dyes, developer, bleach) and hair, and more!2. Energy Efficient
- As you can imagine, the energy that goes into powering the blow dryers, water and lights in a hair salon adds up quick! Green Circle Member salons are encouraged to perform energy audits, which show where the most energy is getting used and ways to improve energy usage.3. Sustainable
- Salons need more than hair products to run smoothly. We need cleaning products, food, coffee etc! As a Green Circle Salon, we strive to make sustainable choices that not only reduce our carbon footprint but also support our local community. By using fair trade coffee and buying our products locally we are able to run smoother and greener!We are so proud to be a Green Circle Salon and encourage everyone to look for the Green Circle logo in the future.
Read more →
It’s been an eventful couple of weeks for the team here at Trim Hair Salon!
On the 21st of February, we held a fundraiser at our salon for the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre. This amazing centre has had a huge impact on Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, an area known for high levels of violence, addiction, homelessness and poverty. The DEWC has provided a safe haven for women and children, who are unfortunately especially vulnerable to exploitation and injustice. They provide hot meals, clothing, washroom facilities and more to more than 500 women, children and seniors everyday. Amazing.
In an effort to help out, we offered free haircuts to anyone who donated an essential charitable item to the DEWC; this included coats, boots, socks, personal care items etc. To our delight, the fundraiser was a huge success. The salon was busy all day with people and donations. The DEWC reached out to us on Facebook to say thank you for all of the donations, and we were so happy we could help.
Everyone who came to the salon to support the DEWC deserves a HUGE thank you from us, and the centre. Your generosity will be very much appreciated.
Another exciting thing happened in February. Many of you are familiar with the Georgia Straight’s “BEST OF THE CITY” Awards that happen every year. Well, we are proud to announce that Trim Hair Salon won for Eastside Hair Salon! Thank you SO much to everyone who took the time to vote for us! It really means a lot. Take a minute to check out the rest of the city’s winners here.
For such a short month, February was truly very eventful at our little salon. We hope March can keep up!
Read more →