Summer can be really rough on your hair. From swimming, sun damage, going out all the time and styling your hair with hot tools and loading on the products so we don’t frizz out, etc. We all want healthier hair yet we continue to make choices that effect our hair in a negative way. Maybe you’re damaging your hair directly by bleaching it constantly or maybe your hair is indirectly effected by a lack of vitamins in your diet – regardless what the cause, we have a solution! Here are 14 ways to achieve healthy hair.
1. Drugstore shampoo is destroying your hair! Opt for something sulphate and paraben free like the LOMA Moisturizing Shampoo.
Drug store products often contain sulphates and parabens which are harmful to your hair. The entire LOMA line is sulphate and paraben free, organic, gluten and cruelty free. It’s available here at TRiM Hair Salon and retails for $28 as a set with conditioner. Our customers love this Shampoo and conditioner.
My friend brought me a small sample when I was in the hospital. I was allergic to the hypoallergenic soap at the hospital so I used the shampoo for body wash and shampoo. It has a clean fresh smell I am very sensitive to smells and will go into a anaphylactic allergic reaction to scents. This is one of the very few shampoos that I can use. Very gentle on scalp and hair. I can’t say enough good things about it. My friend who gave this to me uses only natural products, so I know its gentle and natural. The other advantage is that it last forever.” –Carol
2. Don’t wash your hair every single day. 2-3 times a week should be enough and eventually your scalp will regulate itself to not over-produce oils.
PLEASE! For the love of hair, stop washing it every day. If you cant stand your bedhead or “leftover” style from the day before, simply run your hair brush under water and brush out any kinks an cowlicks.
3. Washing Your Hair In Cold Water For Healthier Hair. It might take getting used to but cold water adds shine, saves hair colour from fading and seals the cuticle for smoother hair!
Maybe this will help encourage you not to wash your hair every day!
4. Avoid breakage and painful brushing by brushing wet hair with a Wet Brush.
Promising review – “Bought this brush after it was recommended to me in the summer. I used it for the first time last night and it was AMAZING. My hair gets very tangled when it is wet and lately I have had a very difficult and painful time brushing it out. This brush does still tug a bit through the knots and tangles, but it is essentially pain free. It was still the easiest I’ve brushed through my hair in a very long time. I did pair it with the Mane ‘n Tail detangler so it could have been a combination but either way I would highly recommend this brush!” –Jessica
5. Use a detox / clarifying shampoo once a week to get rid of hair buildup from the daily elements, environmental factors and product build-up.
We recommend Aveda’s Rosemary Mint clarifying shampoo. Use this shampoo once a week to rid your scalp of buildup and excess oils. Added bonus – the invigorating mint smells amazing and leaves your scalp almost tingling and feeling really cleansed.
Retails for $17.50 at TRiM Hair Salon.
6. Trimming your hair will help your hair grow faster. Be regular with your trims to remove any dead or damaged ends.
It is important for the health of your hair that you have it trimmed at least every three months. If you are someone who colours or bleaches your hair then you should be coming for trims every 12-16 weeks (3-4 months). Here at TRiM Hair Salon the cost of a hair cut ranges from $55 to $80 based on the stylist you book with.
7. Use a hair mask once a week to restore moisture and repair split ends.
The Dry Remedy Moisturizing Mask helps to seal in moisture and restore shine and smoothness to dried out hair. Since this is only meant to be used once a week, its good to combine it with the cleansing shampoo because that can tend to make your hair feel dry. Try out the Aveda Dry Remedy Masque ($45) available at TRiM Hair Salon. Apply after shampoo, leave on for 10-20 minutes, rinse out.
8. Protect your hair after coloring with a bond builder.
Olaplex is a three step process that has 2 parts in salon, and 1 take home treatment available at TRiM Hair Salon ($60). The treatment consists of a bond multiplier, bond perfector and a hair perfector. “Our simple three-step process includes a patented active ingredient that works on a molecular level to seek out broken bonds in the hair that are caused by chemical, thermal, and mechanical damage. You can use Olaplex to restore compromised hair, or add it to another service to provide the ultimate breakage insurance.” -Olaplex
9. Air dry your hair to achieve stronger hair and prevent dryness.
This is a no brainer, everyone knows with hair that heat = damage. Let the air do the drying! Spray leave-in conditioner mid-shaft to ends of hair. Also save time getting ready in the morning. If you don’t have time or cant go to work with wet hair, simply throw it in a braid or bun. You can take your hair out later for natural waves or curls once dried! GS
10. Give your hair a break from hot styling tools to avoid split ends.
Excessive heat damages and destroys hair over time. Using styling tools like flatirons and curling irons daily will cause the hair cuticle to become dry and rigid and in turn break off into split-ends! There are lots of products out there to help styling without heat and letting your natural hair shine!
11. If you absolutely must use hot styling hair tools, ditch the chemical heavy products for a heat protector.
The Kevin Murphy Staying.Alive leave-in treatment spray is a multipurpose product that not only provides thermal protection but also nourishes the hair with rose-hip and olive leaf oil and smooths out frizz. How to use: Spray evenly onto towel dry hair, wait 5-10 seconds and brush through.
12. Up your Vitamin intake for healthy hair. Healthy inside = healthy outside! Most of us are lacking in some type of vitamins or minerals.
Up your Vitamin A and B intake to help with hair and nail growth. Collagen supplements are also a great addition to your regimen, not only helping with hair growth but with skin and joints as well.
TruMarine Collagen from WithinUs is a great option ($64.95)
13. Summer is just around the corner which means it is time to protect your hair from the sun and chlorine. All you beach babes need to protect against sun damage AND protect your colour from fading.
The Soleil Masque UV Defense Active by Kerastase ($65), is THE most raved about sun treatment. It’s literally a UV filter for your hair, coats the strand of hair so repel water and strengthens the hair to help with breakage and prevent damage.
14. Prevent your hair from ripping by avoiding traditional hair elastics. If you’re someone who wears their hair up, try using an Invisibobble or an old school scrunchie.
These elastics are much more gentle than traditional elastics, don’t rip out hair when removed and won’t leave a kink in your hair. Invisibobble retails for $10 for a pack of 3 at Sephora.